Increases – $14,525.24
- After tax income – $11,546.52
- HSA contributions – $234
- Sales on Craigslist – $10*
- Sales on Amazon – $9.25**
- decluttr referral bonus – $10
- Interest from checking and savings accounts – $30.32
- Chase Sapphire Reserve annual travel credit – $300***
- Over-time meal reimbursements – $140.28****
- Gain on investments – $3,244.87
Decreases – $9,362.15
- Moving Expenses – $2,134.69
- Final rent payment in New York (November prorated) – $1,303.33
- Rent and utilities in California (November) – $1,955.50
- Rent and utilities in California (December) – $2,053.21
- Chase Sapphire Reserve annual membership fee – $450
- Other expenses – $1,465.42
Net increase – $5,163.09
This month was particularly heavy on the spending front, especially due to the brief overlap in rent payments on my old apartment in New York and my new apartment in California. Luckily, my prior employer paid out my vacation days so I had a little bit of extra spending money. Plus, I’m expecting to get my deposit back from my previous landlord and all of my moving expenses reimbursed by my new employer. These’ll add about $4,000 back to my net worth.
In addition, I made quite a few purchases this month on groceries, cookware and furniture. These were all items that I didn’t care much for when I lived in my tiny kitchen-less apartment in New York. Now that I have a kitchen, you can bet that I’ll no longer be eating just sandwiches and salads all the time.
One thing I’ve noticed is that even though things are generally cheaper out here in the suburbs, I tend to spend more when I shop. This is probably because of all the eye-catching discounts that are strategically placed throughout stores like Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. But I expect to develop a nice immunity to all that soon, just like how I grew immune to spending money on fine dining and alcohol back in New York.
Well that’s all for now. I’ll see you all next month – Happy belated Thanksgiving!
*Items sold on Craigslist: Tabletop foosball game from Dave & Buster’s.
**Items sold on Amazon: Assassin’s Creed III for Nintendo Wii U.
***I received a $300 statement credit on my Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card for my airfare from New York to California and for several cab and bus rides.
****One of my four ways to save money in New York. My old employer reimbursed us for up to $35 for over-time meal expenses. My new employer in California has a similar program.