It’s that time again – net worth update number three! This month, my net worth actually decreased by about $800 to $91,730.71. Here’s a quick rundown of what happened:
Increases – $10,142.31
- After tax income – $7,276.89
- 401k contributions -$1,983.34
- Sales on Craigslist, Amazon and Decluttr – $264.09*
- Interest from checking and savings accounts – $39.66
- New account bonus from Capital One 360 – $200**
- Reimbursements – $378.33***
Decreases – $10,924.27
- Rent – $2,259
- Loan to a friend – $4,900
- Retirement account adjustment – $2,125.02
- Loss from investments – $895.09
- Other expenses – $745.16
Net decrease – $781.96
As you can see, I had two unusual decreases that took my net worth down by about $7,000. The first one was a $2,125.02 adjustment to my retirement account – apparently the firm had deposited this by mistake awhile ago and decided to take it back. The second was a $4,900 loan to a friend (more on this later). If we ignore these two anomalies and consider the fact that I still have over $400 in over-time meal receipts to be reimbursed (one of my four ways to save money in New York), then I’ve really only spent about $300 outside of rent this month.
So all in all, I’m proud of my progress despite the numbers. Next month, I’m expecting a huge comeback, so stay tuned!
*Items sold: Four Nintendo Wii U games ($172.15), one Nintendo 3DS game ($13.80) and one patent law casebook from law school ($78.14)
**Sadly this promotion is over. But you can still get $25 if you open an account through this link and follow the instructions. And I’ll get $25 too, so thanks in advance!
***Remember my buddy Alex in Hong Kong? He reimbursed me for a Nike jacket that I ordered and shipped for him.